7 Reasons to Shift to SIP Trunks
Learn more about brilliantly simple business phone systems at our website. Contact us at 616-451-9933 or email us to get started.
Modernizing business phone systems to gain the latest conveniences of unified communications and mobility is also an opportunity to remodel the network connections. For years, businesses have connected their offices to the public telephone network using traditional circuits like T1 and ISDN PRI. The move to an IP phone system is a great opportunity to bring those behind-the-scenes connections into the modern era, too.
SIP trunks are quickly becoming the preferred choice for businesses for IP connections, replacing traditional TDM circuits. More than 20 percent of installed business trunks in North America are SIP, according to Infonetics. Yet usage is also growing around the world, especially in the U.S. and Europe, with global growth of 35 percent in 2014, according to the market research firm.
Here are seven reasons to make the move to SIP trunks.
Here is a shortlist of five UC functions Millennials need:
- Enable unified communications and collaboration. SIP trunks provide the ability to run voice, video and data across the same connection between offices and communications service providers. This allows workers to benefit from collaboration, videoconferencing and location-presence applications.
- Save money. Everyone likes saving money, and most SIP services are significantly cheaper than traditional TDM circuits. It also allows organizations to eliminate or reduce costs associated with ISDN PRI trunks, PSTN gateways, and service provider contracts. Consolidating service providers makes billing and reporting simpler, so businesses have better visibility into what they’re spending on telecom and they have fewer vendors to manage.
- Simplify IT. Organizations can consolidate many of their separate analog and TDM circuits over a SIP trunk. This allows them to eliminate circuits and make the most efficient use of their bandwidth.
- Adapt the network to the business needs. SIP provides the ability to scale up bandwidth more easily and affordably than with traditional TDM circuits. Plus, many SIP trunking services support bursting, so businesses can pay-as-they-go if traffic spikes.
- Easily establish a local presence anywhere. SIP provides greater flexibility with the use of business numbers. Organizations can establish a local number anywhere in the world, while the calls will ring into the physical office of their choosing. It’s instant local presence!
- Support virtual contact centers. Sales, support, and other call center workers can be physically located anywhere when SIP trunking is used as part of a virtual contact center. This gives organizations the ability to balance the workload while calls are routed seamlessly behind the scenes.
- Weather the unexpected.Using SIP trunks can make communications more resilient. If there’s a network outage or local disaster, businesses can simply switch the routing over the SIP trunks. And in ordinary times, traffic loads can be balanced over multiple trunks, giving workers a better experience everyday.
Ready to Get Started with SIP?
ShoreTel has a long history of supporting SIP in our business phone systems. And we have an established program for SIP certification within our Innovation Network, with more than 30 certified SIP providers.